Sunday, February 20, 2011

A toe in the water

I've been teetering on the brink of blogging for so long that it's starting to be ridiculous. I love reading other people's blogs, but reading isn't doing and so the time has come to stop standing on the edge and just dive in – or, being me, to dip my toe tentatively into the water.

Most people think of retirement as being a time to slow down, to stand back from the busyness of life and take up golf or something. Instead, for my DH and me, it’s been a opportunity to up sticks, at least some of the time, and to sample life in not one but two other countries.

Our base of operations is Wales, to be precise the beautiful, quiet and unspoilt area of Mid-Wales, equidistant from the tourist honey-pots of Snowdonia, the Brecon Beacons and the coast. We’ve lived and worked here for the best part of 40 years and now we’ve retired here, and it’s where we will always come back to.

But before it’s too late we also want to try out life in other lovely corners of the world. For us these are France, more specifically southern Normandy, and in the diametrically opposite direction, the far northern coast of Scotland. We divide our time between these very different locations and count ourselves lucky to be able to do so. Perhaps now you can understand why I chose this particular title for my blog……


Image via Wylio

10 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Welcome to the blogosphere. I shall enjoy reading your blog as it develops x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wylye Girl. They say the first step is always the hardest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have fun blogging...and you'll 'meet' some very nice people.
    Have you had a look at Ayak's Turkish Delight? She's encouraged a lot of her readers to blog and her own blog is super.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having fun already, Fly, and thanks for the tip about Ayak's blog. I'll head over there straight way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to blogland! And thankyou Fly for such kind words...I'm blushing! I popped over here because I noticed you had joined my happy band of followers, so now I'm returning the favour.

    Now I'm off to read the rest of your posts. Good luck with your blog and most of all...enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Ayak, I intend to :-) It will take me considerably longer to catch up with your blog, but I'll have fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the world of blogging! If you ever reach Orkney do come and visit.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Sian. I'm really enjoying both writing my own blog and discovering the blogs of others. We may well take you up on that kind invitation one day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to find you!

    I love the thought of one day when the children have grown up to travel around - dreamy !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mammasaurus. Lovely to have you visit and thanks for the excellent first post link idea. I'm still a very new blogger really - only 9 months, but it's been such fun.

    The travelling bit may be a long time coming, but hold onto the thought and one day....

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and will always try to respond to them. Thank you for reading.